[Kde-pim] How can i help here?

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Tue Feb 17 10:47:00 GMT 2009

Hi,

On Monday 16 February 2009 22:22:29 Didier Fleury wrote:
> First of all I would like to thank you all for the amazing job you are
> doing for giving us an alternative to Windows (which I definitly kick out
> from my laptop and there will be no turning back :D) and providing us open
> source apps and tools.
>
> Am also very impress by the work which has been done to bring the Akonadi
> framework forward. There are a lot of iteresting concepts in this framework
> and the tools around are very interesting.
>
> As a computer student I never really had time to give a hand but now that I
> am done with the studies I really want to help. I don't expect somebody to
> take me by the hand and tell me what to do but what I need is a starting
> point (am not talking about getting started, setting environment, building
> kde etc.. this is already done) to avoid getting disperse and frustrated
> because there is too many things.
>
>  I would like to understand how things works so I can help. Any comments,
> ideas, suggestions are welcome.

Do you want to contribute by coding? If so, then the thing to do is probably
to fix things that nag you, i.e. fix bugs that you experience yourself when
using KDEPIM or write features that you want to have. That's probably the
easiest way to stay motivated.
Of course, we could also point you to things that need fixing, as the KMail
maintainer I know lots of things that are probably easily fixable.
But what do you mean by "starting point" or "understand how things work"? That
is a bit broad. I'm sure we can all help with understanding the internals of
an application that you want to work on, just ask us here or in #kontact on
IRC.
http://websvn.kde.org/*checkout*/trunk/KDE/kdepim/kmail/HACKING might also
contain useful information.

Regards,