[Kde-pim] Proposal for a new pim application

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Thu Dec 10 10:05:01 GMT 2009

Am Donnerstag 10 Dezember 2009 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> And only if the idea of a workflow you have is too different from
>  Basket  or KJots another applications might make sense. Hopefully
>  using the same data as Basket and possibly KJots from Akonadi and
>  Nepomuk. But actually I think the work flow you described could be
>  emulated in Basket just right now already. Put everything into one
>  basket and use full text search. Only thing missing would be relating
>  information together at least as long as you do not want to group them
>  in different baskets for that.

I suggest to new folder / basket types:

- link folders: Any note you drop there won't get moved, but linked. This
way you can have your big drop all folder and still related notes together
without removing them from your big drop all folder.

- query folders: These just perform a query on notes in a different or all
different folders and show the results of the query. Much like that
Akonadi Nepomuk query folder stuff that was mentioned in this thread.

Then out of the link and query folders the application - whether it might
be Basket or something else - could automatically create a relationship
view that looks a bit like a mind map.

Say I had too link folders "Nature" and "Spirit" where I put nature
related and spiritual things in. Then in the relational view I would get
the both words Nature and Spirit and expandable views onto all the notes
related to them. Same with query folders.

Challenge would be to get the user interface straight-forward and simple.
I think this needs lot of usability work.