[Kde-pim] KMail 1 Freeze & Merging of Akonadi port

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Sat Dec 19 15:04:47 GMT 2009

Hi,

I'd like to formerly announce that I consider KMail 1 (which is the KMail in
trunk) to be frozen forever now. No new features or refactorings should be
committed to it. Exceptions are still pending review requests, which that lazy
KMail maintainer will really review soon. Only bugfixes are allowed from now
on (or merges from the enterprise4 branch that don't violate the KDE freeze,
the code for them is written anyhow).

The focus now should be on porting KMail to Akonadi and KMime, which happens
in the akonadi-ports branch. Any help there is greatly appreciated, it is a
huge task. Also, it is quite easy to help, there are many low-hanging fruit to
fix, see also
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/KMail_Junior_Jobs#Help_porting_KMail_to_Akonadi_and_KMime.

Also, I'd like to propose to merge back KMail or even the whole akonadi-ports
branch as soon as possible after trunk is open again.
Two reasons for this:
1. Merging between those two branches is quite a lot of work, which could be
spent on coding instead.
2. Some fixes to trunk are in the danger of getting lost, since their
equivalent doesn't exist anymore in the akonadi-ports branch. Those for
example are popaccount.cpp, messagecomposer.cpp, much of the message viewer
stuff, and many more. I'd hate if that work is lost.

The downside of course would be to have a KMail in trunk that is not useable,
and we do have some people using trunk for their real mail. Those people would
need to switch to KDE 4.4 branch for their production KMail. On the other
hand, having a broken KMail in trunk will motivate people to fix it :)

The timeline for a fully ported KMail 2 is still KDE 4.5. Should we discover
that KMail is not ready enough, we can always not release it, or release the
KMail from the 4.4 branch instead. I'd expect that we make it, though.

What do you think?

Regards,
Thomas