[Kde-pim] assert in ImapAccountBase::makeConnection()

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Wed Aug 5 21:45:22 BST 2009

Hi,

On Wednesday 05 August 2009 19:46:43 you wrote:
> while testing different bko issues with current trunk in kmail,
> I hit the assert
>   Q_ASSERT( !mSlave ); // disconnected on 'wrong login' error already, or
> first try in imapaccountbase.cpp line 309
>
> The situation is: I did not enter a username nor a password and click OK.
>
> Should this assert really be triggered in this situation ? I don't think
> so. What shall it really be ?

I'm not aware of the details of the code, but I think if there is no
connection to the server, there should be no slave, and that is what the
assert checks for.
I think empty user+password is ok, since some IMAP servers of ISPs
authenticate on the IP address only (or something else, no idea how it works).

So I think there shouldn't be a slave anymore when the connection fails.

But I could be completely wrong and the bug is somewhere.

Of course it shouldn't crash :)

Regards,
Thomas