[Kde-pim] Review Request and [RFC]: Add capability to merge items containing multiple parts, and to know what parts are available for a given item.

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Fri Aug 21 13:56:31 BST 2009

On Friday 21 August 2009 13:00:19 Stephen Kelly wrote:
> > In both cases though, we need a way to ask for a given part of the item
> > given
> > it's body structure. In IMAP it is done using a pointed notation to
> > traverse the tree. For instance 2.2.1, gives me the first sub-sub-part of
> > the second sub-part of the second-part of the mail.
>
> I would imagine the serializer could translate 2.2.1 into "funny
> cats.mpeg". I don't think applications should have to deal with "2.2.1".

I don't think that's a good idea. The only way to uniquely adress an MIME
attachment is the above notation. That's what eg. KMime::ContentIndex does as
well. Using attachment names will break sooner or later.

Also, I don't think it makes any difference for the application anyway, those
part identifiers are not supposed to be user visible. For applications like
the mail reader window which is one of the few users of on-demand loading of
arbitrary payload parts, you'll need the MIME body-structure anyway. That
contains filenames, comments, mimetypes, etc. for every attachment, ie. all
the stuff you want and need for displaying unfetched attachments in some
useful way.

regards
Volker