[Kde-pim] [RFC] Contact specific Akonadi API

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Sun Aug 9 13:38:52 BST 2009

On Sunday 09 August 2009 14:13:35 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Sunday, 2009-08-09, Tobias Koenig wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 08, 2009 at 12:07:56AM +0200, Martin Koller wrote:
> > > On Friday 07 August 2009, Thomas McGuire wrote:
> >
> > Hej Martin,
> >
> > > - getting the "default" addressbook - if something like this exists.
> > >   This is useful when a synchronization software wants to add contacts
> > > and does not know about different addressbooks.
> >
> > Hmm, we had something like a default resource in KDE3, however no user
> > ever figured out itself what this 'default' was for and why it had to be
> > set. For this reason I'd suggest to let each client application (e.g.
> > synchronization software) let the user choose which address book shall be
> > used for writing instead of providing a global flag.
>
> Agreed.
> There might also be different defaults, e.g. maybe you want your contacts
> from emails in a different addressbook then when adding them through an
> explicit interface like KAddressBook.
> Or different defaults for contacts and contact groups (distribution lists).
>
> However, applications which show such a selection dialog for the first time
> might want to know if there is some folder selected as default in the main
> addressbook application, e.g. for pre-selecting it.

Right, there is no such thing as *the* addressbook or *the* inbox., you can
have arbitrary many of them. Just like you don't have *the* folder in your
filesystem. Applications can of course pre-select sensible choices, but in
the end the user is always asked where to store a new file.

regards
Volker