[Kde-pim] Unexplained error message from kmail

Constantin Berzan exit3219 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 16:22:06 BST 2009

On Friday 07 August 2009 18:07:56 David Jarvie wrote:
> On Fri, August 7, 2009 3:12 pm, Thomas McGuire wrote:
> > Hi,

> >> Original text from the bug report:
> >> The server did not accept the sender address "Carey Fitzmaurice
> >> <xxx.xxx at xxx.xxx>".
> >> The server responded: "<Carey Fitzmaurice <xxx.xxx at xxx.xxx>>: "@" or "."
> >> expected after "Carey""
> >>
> >> I may be completely wrong, but it looks like the server expects an email
> >> address (a at b.c) and gets a pretty address instead (name with spaces
> >>  <a at b.c>).
> >
> > That seems to be the case indeed.
> > SMTP expects something like "MAIL FROM <a at b.c>", and the pretty address
> > shouldn't be there.
> > No idea how that can happen at all, since KMSender::doSendMsg() calls
> > extractSenderToCCAndBcc() to get the From address, and that in turn calls
> > extractAddrSpecs( "From" ), which seems to work fine for me.
> >
> > So sorry, I don't know what went wrong here.
>
> Sorry for being inaccurate, but now that I check the KAlarm code, I see
> that it's actually being sent by a MailTransport::TransportJob, rather
> than KMail. Does this make a difference?

Yes, the TransportJob definitely wants the transport email address only, not
the pretty one with the name.  So I guess KAlarm will have to do the "pretty
address <a at b.c>" -> "a at b.c" conversion on its own.

Note: In the akonadi-ports branch we have a new Akonadi-based mechanism for
sending email (MessageQueueJob in mailtransport), that will eventually
deprecate TransportJobs.

--
http://ascending.wordpress.com/