[Kde-pim] Review Request: make the maildir filename separator configurable

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Aug 24 19:37:51 BST 2009

On Monday 24 August 2009, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Thursday, 2009-08-20, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > Is your patch worth the effort? Sorry for being blunt, but, apart
> > from you, who needs this hidden configuration option? The bug you
> > cited had 0 votes. But I see you did already commit the change
> > (using a much nicer solution). Please mark the review as committed.
>
> I might be interesting to people using a dual-boot setup with
> Windows. Adjusting the software requirements to cope with the
> limitations of the shared file system.

That's exactly why I suggested that KMail should automatically fallback
to '!' if ':' is not supported by the file system. This would work out
of the box for everybody with every setup. Now, with this hidden
configuration option, the user will have to edit a configuration file
by hand. But before he can do this he first will have to discover that
there is a hidden configuration option which allows him to do what he
needs. It would probably be much less hassle for this user to simply
use mbox folders instead of maildir folders.

Oh, and BTW, if a Windows user has the great idea of changing the
separator to ':' he will be up for a (potentially bad) surprise. So in
the Windows build the separator should be hardcoded to '!'. Let's
prevent the user from shooting himself in the foot.

Regards,
Ingo