[Kde-pim] Akademy, KMail and Thunderbird

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Sun Aug 2 18:48:42 BST 2009

On Sunday 02 August 2009 18:37:10 Anne Wilson wrote:
> Those who were at Akademy will remember that the wireless link got swamped,
> making things very difficult.  While trying to find work-arounds, and
> before I knew what the problem really was, I tried reading my imap mail in
> Thunderbird, as well as in KMail.
>
> I would start KMail, and find that it stuck for a very long time,
> presumably reading headers.  After a while I opened Thunderbird, and was
> surprised to find that I could immediately enter the folders.  Typically I
> would read three or four messages before KMail gave me a message list.
>
> One difference that I should mention is that I don't have Enigmail enabled
> on the netbook - if gpg is one part of the puzzle that would make a
> difference.
>
> I'm really curious as to why KMail was so slow.  Any ideas?

without knowing what Thunderbird does exactly, my guess would be that the
reason for this is the amount of local caching. KMail so far has only two
modes: cache everything or cache basically nothing, selectable only at
account creation time. Fortunately, this is about to change with the Akonadi
port, allowing much more fine-grained cache policies. Together with the
improved incremental syncing algorithm and IDLE support there should be no
slowness left ;-)

regards
Volker