[Kde-pim] [RFC] Contact specific Akonadi API

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun Aug 9 13:13:35 BST 2009

On Sunday, 2009-08-09, Tobias Koenig wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 08, 2009 at 12:07:56AM +0200, Martin Koller wrote:
> > On Friday 07 August 2009, Thomas McGuire wrote:
>
> Hej Martin,
>
> > - getting the "default" addressbook - if something like this exists.
> >   This is useful when a synchronization software wants to add contacts
> > and does not know about different addressbooks.
>
> Hmm, we had something like a default resource in KDE3, however no user ever
> figured out itself what this 'default' was for and why it had to be set.
> For this reason I'd suggest to let each client application (e.g.
> synchronization software) let the user choose which address book shall be
> used for writing instead of providing a global flag.

Agreed.
There might also be different defaults, e.g. maybe you want your contacts from
emails in a different addressbook then when adding them through an explicit
interface like KAddressBook.
Or different defaults for contacts and contact groups (distribution lists).

However, applications which show such a selection dialog for the first time
might want to know if there is some folder selected as default in the main
addressbook application, e.g. for pre-selecting it.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring