[Kde-pim] kdepim support for google calendar and contacts

Till Adam adam at kde.org
Thu Apr 16 07:52:54 BST 2009

On Wednesday 15 April 2009 21:07:59 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 April 2009, Mike Arthur wrote:
> > On Wednesday 15 April 2009 15:18:11 Adenilson Cavalcanti wrote:
> > > Since the idea is to move this akonadi resource (and some others) to
> > > extra-gear, this is why I reported to this list.
> >
> > Why extragear and not KDEPIM proper?
>
> For one we are very close to the 4.3. feature/string freeze and work on
> those might still be necessary.
>
> Secondly, as a new resource, there might be enough improvements during the
> 4.3 cycle to want make another release desirable.
>
> Thirdly, it is a nice example that kdepimlibs is sufficient to do an
> Akonadi resource, i.e. something third parties can provide to increase the
> value of the Akonadi eco-system.

In our discussion on IRC we thought it might be a good idea to have all
resources with "third party" dependencies (google, exchange, facebook, etc.)
in extragear, rather then kdepim, to ensure they can be released along with
the upstream library updates, or shortly after,, but also to make sure
resources are done against the public, published Akonadi API (to preempt a
similar mess to the Kontact plugins fiasko, ask the Basket guys how well we've
been doing there in the past ...). Additionally it seems like it would make it
easier to pick and chose for distributors and keep the dependency list of
kdepim morem manageable. Just modularization, is all. The downside is that
releases are not automatic (a bit more work for the resource maintainers, but
also more control), and that packages have to look in one more place to find
"all of kdepim". I think the latter can be solved with communication.

Cheers,

Till

--
Till Adam <adam at kde.org>