[Kde-pim] KContactManager Name

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Apr 23 22:15:35 BST 2009

On Thursday 23 April 2009, Sergio Martins wrote:
> On Thursday 23 April 2009 16:51:48 Allen Winter wrote:
> > Can we pick a new name for the new KAddressBook?
> > I'm really not excited about KContactManager.
> >
> > Not that I have any good suggestions at the moment,
> > by KContactManager is too close to Kontact.
>
> If it will replace KAddressBook we could use the same name, no?
>
> KAddressBook 2

I agree. KAddressBook really is the best name for it although appending
a '2' won't do because KAddressBook is currently at version 4.2 (since
it follows the version number of KDE). Maybe append something like 'NG'
or whatever.

In fact, as application name (shown in the UI) "KDE Address Book" would
be even better. Reasoning: We should try to get away from this
K-namespacing of our applications. It's so last-century. Moreover,
explicitely adding KDE to the application's name will improve the
awareness of the KDE brand. FWIW, I'd like to see the same happen with
KMail (-> KDE Mail), KOrganizer (-> KDE Calendar?), etc.

The name of the executables would still be ksomething because on this
level the namespacing does make sense. Maybe on this level the new
address book app could simply be named kaddressbook2.

Just my 2 cents...

Regards,
Ingo