[Kde-pim] KContactManager Name

Thomas Thym ungethym at mevin.net
Fri Apr 24 23:01:24 BST 2009

Hi all,

first: I love the k prefix in KDE Applications. When I started using Linux I didn't know witch app was optimized for KDE or GNOME. The k-naming of apps helped me a lot to choose the right app and to gain an overview what amount of software the KDE-Community created.

These days, as a user, the naming of the package helps me to choose the right app (at least on OpenSUSE the packages are named kde4-ApplicationName).

As many new apps don't follow the k-naming anymore (and I think I recognized a move from the brand "K Desktop Environment" to "KDE") I'm not sure if it is too late to go back to the k prefix. :-(
(But it is still a strong part of KDE history).

Anyway, if I was a developer and if I had a right to vote, my draft-suggestion (at 23:30 after a long day) would be:

Brand: kAddressBook2 - The KDE Address Book
Name: kAddressBook2
Menu: (The) KDE Address Book
Kontact: Contacts

If all major KDE-Apps are branded "recognizable/unique AppName - The KDE ... application" I hope KDE Address Book/Manager doesn't lead to the thought it contains only addresses from KDE folks.

Good night,
Thomas