[Kde-pim] KContactManager Name

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Fri Apr 24 21:07:43 BST 2009

On Friday 24 April 2009, Tom Albers wrote:
> At Friday 24 April 2009 13:15, you wrote:

> > > The name should be descriptive, and kaddressbook (shown as "KDE
> > > Address Book" in the menu) or kontacts (shown as "KDE Contacts")
> > > are the best suggestions so far.
> >
> > +1
>
> -1
>
> The "KDE x" formats makes that particular application bound to that
> designation. If someone writes a better organizer like application,
> do we switch KDE Calendar to that new application? How does that
> work?

How does it work if we do not switch KDE Calendar to that new
application? How do you tell the users that Twix is the new Raider (or
that Koolendar is the new KOrganizer) without a large marketing
campain?

Replacing the old application with the new application (which is exactly
what we are planning to do with KContactManager and KAddressBook AFAIU)
is the easiest way to do it. In Kontact we would certainly replace the
old application with the new application, so I fail to see the problem
with doing the same with the standalone application.

> Mailody would become "KDE Mail 2" then I guess?

Maybe. Maybe not.

> Besides, my mother would interpret KDE AddressBook as the addressbook
> with KDE people. She does not care about that prefix.

She will not see that prefix. She will use Kontact. And even if she does
not use Kontact she will read "Address Manager" (e.g. in openSUSE's
start menu) when looking for the application. Only the window title
will say "KDE Address Book".

> Although I know the KDE world is against me, I find the k prefix a
> strong brand.

Most new KDE applications do not use the K prefix anymore. Mailody does
not start with a K.

The MWG explicitly said that they want to increase the awareness for the
KDE brand.

> Just like iPod, iCalendar, iTunes, iMail, iPhone btw.

There's no iMail from Apple. Not everything made by Apple starts
with 'i'. Apple's mail application is simply called Mail.

iCalendar is the name of the standard. Not everything starting with 'i'
is from Apple. Apple's calendar application is called iCal.

I'm not sure whether this proves or disproves that 'i' is a strong
brand.

Apple's problem is that they cannot register 'i' as trademark. Anybody
can (and many do) market a product under a name starting with 'i'.

Google quickly gave up on using 'G' as a brand (as in Gmail). I'm pretty
sure they had good reasons for doing so.

Regards,
Ingo