[Kde-pim] KMail System Tray Idea

Abner Silva abner.silva at kdemail.net
Thu Apr 16 14:38:55 BST 2009

On Thursday 16 April 2009 01:05:38 ComputerDruid wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 April 2009 23:57:12 Abner Silva wrote:
> > Welcome onboard =)
>
> Thanks
>
> > Actually you can already do something similar to it just editing the
> > folder's properties and using the option "Act on new/unread mail". So
> > that way you can choose which folder will reflect its new mails on tray.
>
> This is what I was looking for. Its very hidden away, however. I wonder if
> there should be any relation between this setting and the favorite folders
> designation, since the latter is more visible and they seem to be similar
> in nature.

I agree, but I think it will be hard to have both options (the already
existing one and the way you wanna it working).

> > The "All Mail" issue (I consider it as an issue when using gmail with
> > imap) you can solve, again, editing the 'Local Subscription" of you gmail
> > account. There you can choose which folder you wanna subscribe/watch to.
> > So just unmark All Mail's folder and you'll avoid downloading duplicated
> > mails from your gmail account.
>
> The problem with this approach is that I can't then read the mails in this
> folder when I go looking for things, or move things into this folder when I
> no longer want them in my inbox.

Yes, I know I had this same problem. The way I solved it was placing every
single message in a folder (in gmail, label), so even when I archive it I can
found it in one specific folder. So, YES, you change the way gmail use to work,
where everything can be archived without no label, but I think this is the
better way to work with IMAP and avoid fetching every single email twice.
Just my 2 cents ;)

BR,

-Abner
--