[Kde-pim] Homapage verry out of date - where to get information?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Sep 18 19:45:42 BST 2008

On Thursday 18 September 2008, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> On Thursday 18 September 2008 10:49:27 Oliver Burger wrote:
> > I just noticed that the latest news on the kontact-site are out of
> > Jannuary 2007, the feature-list on the kmail-site is from
> > kde3.4.x...

Yes, the information on kontact.kde.org is very dated.

> > Is there any possibility to get information about current
> > development?

You could for example read Danny Allen's KDE Commit-Digest that's
published regularly on dot.kde.org. It covers not just KDE PIM, but all
of KDE. Nevertheless, it's probably the best source for information
about current development in KDE PIM. Of course, you can also read this
mailing list to get some information. Or, if you are interested in
development, have a look at pim.kde.org (which is mainly meant for
developers while kontact.kde.org's focus is the users).

> > Or do you want us users to just let you allone and
> > search for alternatives?
>
> What we really want is a webmaster who follows the development as it
> happens (e.g. on this list or on the IRC channel) and who handles
> updating the website when there are interesting things to change.
> Tying in to the KDE.org website upgrade (away from websites-in-svn)
> would also be good.
>
> We have a critical shortage of developers as it is; spending a few
> hours on the website -- which is something most of us developers are
> *not* good at -- does not feel like a productive investment of time.
> It's an uncomfortable trade off, because at the same time we need to
> attract a webmaster (see above) who wants to push the sites back into
> the 21st century.

Note, that we will transfer most if not all of the contents of the
kontact.kde.org to userbase.kde.org (a wiki). Anne has already
transferred some of the contents. This will make it much easier to keep
the pages up-to-date because anybody will be able to help.

FWIW, we have tried to find a webmaster for many years and even though
from time to time someone willing to help popped up, soon afterwards he
vanished again probably because he got frustrated about getting no
input from us, the developers. I'm putting all my hopes into
userbase.kde.org now.

Regards,
Ingo