[Kde-pim] KMail License issues.

Tom Albers tomalbers at kde.nl
Thu Sep 18 15:29:28 BST 2008

Op woensdag 17 september 2008 15:16 schreef u:
> Hi Bertjan,
>
> On Tuesday 16 September 2008 11:02:02 Bertjan Broeksema wrote:
> > As you may have seen I'm taking a stab at the krazy issues in KMail.
>
> Again, thanks for that!
>
> > One of the main issues are the licenses used (or not) in the code. To be
> > more precise:
> >
> > -  55 files don't have a license at all
> > - 157 files have an incompatible license with Qt or KDE.
> >
> > Besides that there are a whole bunch of copyright statements missing or
> > having no email address.
> >
> > If you have any hint on what would be an appropriate approach to bring down
> > this issues to a minimum please let me know.
>
> Well, the only way to do that is to ask _all_ contributers to those files to
> relicense the code to something GPL3-compatible. On
> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KDE_Relicensing, you can see who already
> agreed to a relicense (for the record: Ingo Klöcker and Don Sanders also
> agreed in private mail).

Please note that relicensecheck.pl holds a list that's bigger than the wiki page. Now and then I transfered new additions from the wiki page to the script. That will probably need to be done from the moment i stopped doing that, to see if any contributors are listed in the wiki but not yet in the script.

> Tom had an excellent page on http://toma.kovoks.nl/kde/, showing exactly who
> needed to agree to which license to be able to relicense a specific file.

Sure, but that was for whole KDE. I could not keep up with the krazy check output changes for determining the license, so I disabled the site. If it is just for one folder, you might as well run the script by hand...

> So the only way to fix this is to track the people down and ask them for their
> agreement wrt relicening.

linkedin is a good friend. ;-)

Toma