[Kde-pim] kmail soc branch

Szymon Stefanek pragma at kvirc.net
Mon Sep 8 00:51:56 BST 2008

On Sunday 07 September 2008, Sven Burmeister wrote:

> I used the kmail-soc branch for a while and except for one crash, it is
> very stable and I like it a lot! Thanks to those that implemented all of
> this!

Great! I'll use this feedback to fix the bugs.
Just need some time as I'm busy with an exam this week.

I've seen your bugreport about the crash and I've reproduced it. Need
some time to fix it since it seems to be caused by an "obscure" KMail
internal related to message releasing (unGetMsg() seems to be done twice,
for the ones that know something about it).

> - switching to the vertical view does not resize width of the message-list,
> neither does it select any folder

Will look into this.

> - aggregation headings are huge

If I understand correctly, you're talking about the group items font.

This is only the default. You can change the size of the font in the skin
editor. However, I've been guided only by personal taste for assigning
the defaults, so maybe people could just vote for the fonts.

For sure it may be a good idea to show that different aggregations
can use different fonts so I've set the "simple skin" default to use
a smaller font (and for now left the "fancy skin" with the huge one).

> - kmail does not not remember aggregations' open/collapse status when
> switching folders or quitting.

Hm. This could be an interesting feature... I can add it, but it
will have the drawback of eating a lot of configuration space
(as for large folders there may be really many groups)...

I guess we need a vote here too.

> - clicking on aggregation headings does not open/collapse them although KDE
> is set to "single click mode"

Right... adding to the TODO list.

> - moving emails from outbox to trash/sending emails from the outbox does
> not update the folder-pane

Hm, I can't reproduce it. Are you moving messages by right clicking on them
or by dragging them to trash ? The counts seem to be correctly updated here...

> - right-click on aggregation headings does not offer to show the status
> column (I think this did work before)

The "status" column has been split in several smaller columns now. This
depends on the skin though. You can easily create a colum that has all
the status icons of your interest.

I'm also planning to provide a default "fancy skin with status" that will
offer all the status icons inside a column.

> - status-icons are very small, which is bad for recognising their
> functionality and clicking them (offer switch to show them two lines high?)

Another interesting potential feature. I'll look into this.

> - (clickable) status icons do not have tooltip that explains their
> functionality

Right. Actually the tooltip contains message informations for the
whole item. Having sub-item tooltips might be also a nice improvement.
I'll look into this too.

> - status icons might be a bit too soft

The inactive ones. Ack: increased the opacity factor a bit.
It's still soft as the difference between active and inactive must
be clearly recognisable. If we'll have variable size icons then
with larger ones they will be yet more clearly visible.

> - aggregating by "user" does not sound like sender/recipient

Ack. Changed to "Senders/Receivers". Nicer ideas are welcome.

> - sent status not shown in tooltip of messages in "sent-mail"

Right. Fixed.

> - aggregating to days when there is only a single email per day seems odd

I agree. But how to do better and make everyone happy ?

We could add an option to "merge small groups"... but I expect more
votes for such a feature as it will require some equilibrism in the
aggregation algorithms.

> - since there is enough space it might make sense to always show verbose
> month - enterprise headers are cut off if one switches from a message that
> needs a vertical scroll-bar to one that does not

Right, the date format for the groups should be configurable.
Adding to the TODO list.

Hm.. quick vote: would you prefer to configure them per-skin or globally ?

> - I don't know what "show headers" does in the customise skins advanced
> tab. - I would opt for showing the status-column by default since "todo"
> and "important" and the others as well are quite useful IMHO

Yep, that's an unclear part of the skinning engine which I was awaiting
comments on. The fact is that when a skin has only one column then
one likely does not want the column header to be shown since it only
eats space. This is why the option is there. On the other side
if you hide the header then you have no way to show/hide columns
by right clicking (since these options are available via the header
context menu). So this option is actually useful only for skins
with a fixed number of columns that are all always visible...

The current svn now contains three default skins. The "Simple" one is
like it was before. The "Fancy" one now has the status icons near
the "Read"/"Unread" status appearing only if they are active.
I have added a "Fancy with Clickable Status" skin which has
two columns (visible header) in that the status icons are always
present and clickable.

Take a look.

> Thanks again for all the work. I will continue to test the branch and give
> more feedback if I come across any new crashes or bugs.

> I'm around on IRC quite frequently, so feel free to contact me if there are
> any questions.

Great!

I have several items in the TODO list and I'll implement them as time
permits. Give the branch a try once in a while :)

I'm Pragma on IRC. Poke me when I'm not Pragma[Off] :)

--

Szymon Stefanek

-
- "We will either find a way or make one." - Hannibal
-