[Kde-pim] kmail soc branch

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Sep 14 17:37:10 BST 2008

On Sunday 14 September 2008, Thomas McGuire wrote:
> On Monday 08 September 2008 01:51:56 Szymon Stefanek wrote:
> > On Sunday 07 September 2008, Sven Burmeister wrote:
> > > - kmail does not not remember aggregations' open/collapse status
> > > when switching folders or quitting.
> >
> > Hm. This could be an interesting feature... I can add it, but it
> > will have the drawback of eating a lot of configuration space
> > (as for large folders there may be really many groups)...
> >
> > I guess we need a vote here too.
>
> Hmm, the open/closed state of threads is not saved either, probably
> by design. So, I'm unsure about this.

Usually the user is not interested in a thread anymore once he has read
all messages in a thread. Therefore only threads containing unread or
(optionally) important messages are expanded by default. With respect
to this, remembering the open/closed state of threads makes no sense.

> > > - aggregating to days when there is only a single email per day
> > > seems odd
> >
> > I agree. But how to do better and make everyone happy ?
> >
> > We could add an option to "merge small groups"... but I expect more
> > votes for such a feature as it will require some equilibrism in the
> > aggregation algorithms.
>
> No idea how to best fix this.
> I wonder how Outlook 2003 handles this...

IIRC then e.g. for the date Outlook creates the
groups "Today", "Yesterday", "Monday", ..., "Last Week", "Last
Month", "Older" (or similar). So there are not that many groups.

I'll check what it does for grouping by sender, etc.

Regards,
Ingo