[Kde-pim] kmail soc branch

Sven Burmeister sven.burmeister at gmx.net
Sun Sep 7 00:19:04 BST 2008

Hello!

I used the kmail-soc branch for a while and except for one crash, it is very
stable and I like it a lot! Thanks to those that implemented all of this!

I wrote down some feedback, which I hope helps a bit. I'm around on IRC quite
frequently, so feel free to contact me if there are any questions.

- since the first-run wizard cannot be skipped, it should offer to "leave
messages on server" (It also reminded me that this wizard is not started if
kmail is started from within kontact.)
- switching to the vertical view does not resize width of the message-list,
neither does it select any folder
- aggregation headings are huge
- kmail does not not remember aggregations' open/collapse status when
switching folders or quitting.
- clicking on aggregation headings does not open/collapse them although KDE is
set to "single click mode"
- moving emails from outbox to trash/sending emails from the outbox does not
update the folder-pane
- right-click on aggregation headings does not offer to show the status column
(I think this did work before)
- status-icons are very small, which is bad for recognising their
functionality and clicking them (offer switch to show them two lines high?)
- (clickable) status icons do not have tooltip that explains their
functionality
- status icons might be a bit too soft
- aggregating by "user" does not sound like sender/recipient
- sent status not shown in tooltip of messages in "sent-mail"

- aggregating to days when there is only a single email per day seems odd
- since there is enough space it might make sense to always show verbose month
- enterprise headers are cut off if one switches from a message that needs a
vertical scroll-bar to one that does not

- I don't know what "show headers" does in the customise skins advanced tab.
- I would opt for showing the status-column by default since "todo" and
"important" and the others as well are quite useful IMHO

Thanks again for all the work. I will continue to test the branch and give
more feedback if I come across any new crashes or bugs.

Sven