[Kde-pim] kmail handbook

tic tic at tictric.net
Sun Nov 30 13:18:38 GMT 2008

Hello everybody,

a few days ago I volunteered for rewriting/reviewing the KMail handbook by
entering my name in
https://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Documentation/KDE4#KMail.
Before I did so I informed Paul Allen about this venture and he probably was
so happy that somebody applied for that job at all that he even forgot to ask
me if I was actually up to the task :-)

Though that remains to be seen I'd still like to introduce myself so that you
firstly, can estimate who you are dealing with and secondly, can start figuring
how to actually deal with me ;-)

My name is Manfred Mislik and I am a, more or less, faithful KDE user since
the late nineties (I started with the beta release that should become KDE 1.0
I believe) on a distro that was called DLD (Deutsche Linux Distribution) and
eventually was swallowed by RedHat.

I am not a hacker, mostly because I don't really like to program with such
finicking, fussy systems that even complain when there's a period or a comma
missing somewhere and that can't actually figure anything out by themselves :-)
Still, I know my way around with bash, perl, php and even c++ but only so far
that I *can* understand what I'm seeing. For programming as such I'm just too
impatient. Sorry.

Because I've been working with GNU/Linux generally and KDE specifically for
such a long time, I wondered how I could give something back to the community.
Programming itself was ruled out pretty soon, but to help writing the
documentation is something I feel like I can be comfortable with.

So, here I am, waiting for your suggestions what are the most pressing items
that need a rewrite and/or update in the KMail handbook while I'm reading
myself through the KDE specific docbook documentation and pester the
documentation team with my questions.

And soon I'm going to pester you folks as well with my questions. But that's a
different story.

On freenode you find me as tictric.

Cheers
Manfred