[Kde-pim] Partial week printing (Re: KDE/kdepim/korganizer/printing)

Ron Goodheart rong.dev at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 04:27:57 GMT 2008

On Monday 10 November 2008 06:02:17 David Faure wrote:
> On Monday 10 November 2008, David Faure wrote:
> > On Tuesday 14 October 2008, Ron Goodheart wrote:
> > >  M  +1 -1      calprintdefaultplugins.cpp
> > >

> > > --- trunk/KDE/kdepim/korganizer/printing/calprintdefaultplugins.cpp
> > > #871127:871128 @@ -889,7 +889,7 @@
> > >    // correct begin and end to first and last day of week
> >
> > Hi Ron,
> > nice work on the printing stuff.
> > I just tried it, but unfortunately it still doesn't solve my problem.
> >
> > I'm trying to print the list of events for a meeting that goes from a
> > Thursday morning to a Sunday evening. Unfortunately the above code forces
> > it to print the whole week, which includes 3 empty days, and which
> > doesn't leave enough room for the events on saturday/sunday (since those
> > have half the space in the filofax week print).
> >
> > Since the user is asked for start and end days, what's the reason for
> > forcing the start and end days to be at week boundaries? Well I guess the
> > reason is "because the layouting code doesn't support anything else than
> > printing entire weeks", right? Any idea how I could print a series of 4
> > days, and only those, then? We need a new option in the week print that
> > says "use start/end dates exactly"? (sounds weird) Or the opposite
> > "always print entire weeks", maybe.
> >
> > David (looking at making a different version of
> > CalPrintPluginBase::drawWeek now...)

David,
Exactly right, it was because it was setup to print weeks at a time. My
emphasis was just to go through fixing stuff since the printing needed some
care. I think we would need a new option for printing the range specified,
not weeks. BTW - this tripped me up initially as well since the GUI allows a
day range not weeks.

> This printing code works for me -- except that drawDayBox doesn't wrap long
> lines, so an event with a long title gets truncated... Any ideas on how to
> fix that?

I saw that too - it could be treated the way the month print does it, printing
and wrapping the title in a sub-box. The month printing allows an option to
allow truncation as really long titles can end up using all of the space.

> Any comments on the feature described above?
> I never touched this code so I'm trying to gather some feedback before just
> committing blindly and stepping on people's toes :-)
This was something that I had intended to get to [sometime] but haven't had
much time recently. [a frequently heard refrain]. My toes are safe.