[Kde-pim] kontact sidepane

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat May 31 23:30:35 BST 2008

hi all =)

first: congrats on getting kontact ready for kde 4.1. one more kde3 application
is now gone from my day to day usage and i'm quite happy about that. i'm sure
it makes all of you feel really great to have reached the kde4 milestone as
well. and other than a few odd quirks with the text editor it's been a great
experience thus far these last few days.

i did notice that the sidebar still has the less than amazing painting from
kde3 (i think i'm at least partly to blame for that code, actually; danimo
also did a bunch stuff in there i think? anyways ... ) and so even though i
know it's still using the K3* classes and any changes would eventually be of
the throw-away sort, i thought i'd celebrate kontact joining my kde4 desktop
with a small patch to help make that sidebar slightly prettier.

in particular the attached patch:

* gets rid of the frame; besides looking nicer it also lets me hit the items
with my mouse crammed against the screen edge

* uses the QStyle::PE_PanelItemViewItem primitive element to paint the
background; this makes it blend in with all other styled items in kde4.

* adds a bit more whitespace about things in places to make it all look a
little less cramped.

you can see the results  in the screenshot here:

	http://bddf.ca/~aseigo/kontactsidebar1.png

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se