[Kde-pim] Akonadi D-Bus interface renaming: remaining issues

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun May 11 14:54:46 BST 2008

On Sunday 11 May 2008, Sander van Grieken wrote:

> Why should the server have control of the GUI directly (i.e. have a concept
> of a UI or Window)? IMHO a server should just send out
> signals/notifications on which the UI should act. If a 'conversation' needs
> to take place, the server could send out a signal/notification
> synchronously, which triggers the UI to perform the conversation with the
> user, and then returns a result from the conversation.

Right, this is part of the current interface. We probably could split that in
two interfaces, one for the reporting and one for getting a parent window ID.

> This way the server can stick to the domain model, and the UI
> implementation does not need to conform to and expose a UI interface.

The server doesn't use any UI, but resources or agents might, e.g. data type
specific conflict resolving.

In a traditional setup, where one application has direct control over the
backends it uses, it can always pass its window ID at any call which results
in backend actions.
However, in an Akonadi setup, resources work on their own or are triggered by
the server (e.g. through cache policies).

Of course there might be better ways of solving that, we'll appreciate any
suggestions.

> It all sounds a bit like a (indirect, through dbus) circular dependency to
> me.

Hmm, I am not sure that there is any cycle. The UI part just provides a
service to the Akonadi setup, it doesn't need Akonadi itself.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring