[Kde-pim] Akonadi: MySQL database error on certain mails

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu May 22 13:17:33 BST 2008

On Thursday 22 May 2008, Volker Krause wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 May 2008 22:20:09 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am currently testing Mailody and am using a maildir resource as the
> > source for mails.
> >
> > A couple of mails trigger a MySQL error like the following when Akonadi
> > requests ENVELOPE, e.g. when using a mail model in akonadiconsole:
> >
> > Error during updating record with id 8306  in table "PartTable" "Got a
> > packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet' bytes QMYSQL3: Unable to execute
> > statement
>
> we have this in server/src/storage/mysql-global.conf:
>
> # maximum blob size
> max_allowed_packet=1M
>
> Since your test mail is bigger than 1M, I think that's the reason. I guess
> we want to set this value to infinity, no idea if that's possible though.

I am pretty sure this is the cause. I checked a couple of others which
triggered the error and all of them had attachments and thus being quite
large.

Increasing the limit is a good idea in any case, e.g. in case a mail without
attachments reaches the limit (e.g. long plaintext + HTML).

I don't know how the mails are serialized, but if attachments are currently
saved as part of the body, thus being tranport encoded, might make them
unnecessarily large.

Additionally, in the case of maildir, the default cache policy should probably
not cache any body at all, but certainly not cache attachments, otherwise
we'll duplicate the space needed for local mails.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring