[Kde-pim] Start of a Kontact::Plugin for KJots

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Sun May 11 19:01:00 BST 2008

Hi,

I've been working on making KJots into a kontact plugin. I've got parts of
it working, but there's still parts of it I'm not sure of. My work is
already in svn (kdeutils/kjots), but commented in the CMakeLists until I
figure out how to make it optional, check kontact exists etc.

Using KStandardDirs::locate("appdata" ...) doesn't work anymore to find the
existing kjots books when run as a kontact plugin. The 'application name'
is kontact (I think) when it is run as a plugin. Is this a .desktop file
issue, or can I fix it at all? I was able to make it load the correct books
by using KStandardDirs::locate("data" "kjots...") in the rest of the kjots
code, but I'm sure that shouldn't be neccessary.

All other kontact plugins seem to use a dbus interface to connect to the
actions such as new task/whatever. Do I really have to create on of those
for kjots too, or is there some other way I can put 'New Page' in the
kontact new dropdown? Can I just put some slots into the kpart?

kjots should only ever have one instance running. This works fine when
running stand-alone, but the plugin would be another instance. I think
akregator has some check to make sure only one instance is running. Is that
what KUniqueApplication is for? There was stuff about that in the
kontact_plugin I copied, but I removed it because it was causing problems.

Also, on a more general kde issue, I'm not sure I did the right thing in
creating a kpart for kjots in the first place. I moved most of existing
main application class KJotsMain to KJotsComponent, and now I simply use
the component as a widget in the Application and in the KPart. Is that the
right approach for this task?

Thanks for any help on this. There's a four year old wishlist item that
should be closed by the end of this.

Steve.