[Kde-pim] Filtering in KMail & moves to online IMAP folders

Thomas McGuire thomas.mcguire at gmx.net
Sun May 25 19:38:43 BST 2008

Hi,

I need some help from KMail experts.

I'm trying to figure out why filters which move a message to an online IMAP
folder in KMail does not work.

It seems that in KMFilterActionMove::process(), moving to online folders is
explicitly disabled when the action scheduler is not used. The comment says
"The old filtering system does not support online IMAP targets".

I tried enabling it unconditionally, and it _seems_ to work.

Now my questions:

- What is the whole ActionScheduler vs. FilterMgr thing? Is ActionScheduler
  the same as FilterMgr, only with the ability to do asynchronous filtering?
- Is it correct that the action scheduler is actually never used? Why?
- Is it dangerous to enable moving to online IMAP folders unconditionally? If
  yes, why? And why does the comment claim that "the old filtering system"
  does not support that?

I've stumbled upon commit 451939 [1], but the commit message only confuses me,
since it says "Use action scheduler for manual filtering", but manual
filtering has the action scheduler commented out since rev. 264912 [2] (in
KMMetaFilterActionCommand::start()).

Regards,
Thomas

[1] http://websvn.kde.org/?view=rev&revision=451939