[Kde-pim] Kontact: is sync with gcalendar implemented?

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Sat May 17 10:06:41 BST 2008

On Friday 16 May 2008 03:28:28 Nils Schlupp wrote:
> On Thursday 15 May 2008 15:24:24 Adenilson Cavalcanti wrote:
> > Dear friends
> >
> > I'm curious to known if anyone is working to implement native support for
> > google calendar in Kontact (without using GCALDaemon)?
> >
> > If not, how would be the better way to provide this functionality
> > considering that I'm almost done with
> > libgcal(http://repo.or.cz/w/libgcal.git) which has almost all the basic
> > functions to handle calendar events (authenticate, download, parse atom
> > stream, add, delete, etc).
> >
> > I never had done any QT/KDE development but have some knowledge of C++
> > and linux in general.
> >
> > So, could someone provide links to information concerning Kontact design
> > and APIs?
> >

> > Best regards
> >

> > Adenilson
>
> I don't have any information regarding your question, but I would be very
> interested in the developement. If you need someone to help out with the
> coding, I would be more then willing.
>
> Nils Schlupp

There is no development for this going on in KDE's svn at least. There were a
few people interested in doing this as a GSoC project, unfortunately we
didn't get enough slots for that. So, you might find a few others interested
in developing this together with you.

An implementation would usually consists of the following parts:
- Talking to the google server. This is usually the hardest part, but the
mentioned libgcal library should cover that already I guess.
- Converting data to and from KCal objects
(http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdepimlibs-apidocs/kcal/html/classKCal_1_1Incidence.html).
Usually pretty straightforward for most parts, converting recurrences might
be a bit tricky however, depending on how this is done in gcalendar.
- Writing an Akonadi resource
(http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdepimlibs-apidocs/akonadi/html/classAkonadi_1_1ResourceBase.html)
to connect gcalendar to Akonadi.

regards