[Kde-pim] status of libical

Thomas Koch thomas at koch.ro
Sun May 18 14:37:28 BST 2008

Hi KDEPIM,

I found your discussion about libical[1] on the Kde-pim list, and wanted to
ask, if you know anything more about the actual status of libical. Do you
know, if there's an actual maintainer?

I'm planning to write a PHP extension to wrap libical[2]. The main reason for
wrapping libical into PHP, is for me to have one common library used by many
PIM projects. This could help with compatibility. Therefor I wanted to know,
whether Evolution, KDE-PIM and others plan to stick with libical or not.

Do you know this discussion[3] from 2004? Already then people complained, that
the upstream of libical would be pretty dead and that it would be nice to
have a common library for all PIM applications.

There's a project from OpenSync to write another library to handle vCalendar
and vCard. The Readme[4] mentions, that it's the explicit goal to make this
library also usable as standalone for other projects. But judging from the
TODO[5] for this vFormat library, it's not that mature yet.

BTW: What do you use in KDE-PIM to parse and generate vCards? Could you point
me to the web-svn link please? It's a pain, that vCards aren't handled by
libical too.

Best regards,

Thomas Koch

[1] http://marc.info/?l=kde-pim&m=120585806306183&w=2