[Kde-pim] interesting rich search UI

Michael Rudolph michael.rudolph at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 12:29:33 GMT 2008

On Saturday 08 March 2008 09:07:48 Will Stephenson wrote:
> I saw this and thought it might be inspiring for Akonadi UIs.
>
> Basically, adds multiple views to Thunderbird showing the results of
> various search queries (received in last 24h, sent from .edu)
> simultaneously, that can be ANDed together.
>
> I don't know how TB stores its data but I imagine this thrashes the
> mail DB ;).
>
> Video at http://simile.mit.edu/seek/
>
> Will

Hello everyone,

hello Will, it's me again (oh, no :-), even with very similar comments.

Starting to talk about user interfaces to personal information
management is really a good idea. This is really a field where much
improvement is possible. But I can only hope that "seek" is really only
an inspiration and will not become the blueprint for KDE's personal
information management.

I'm not so sure that faceted classification would be very useful for
email. It might be especially suited to browse unfamiliar information
spaces, but I don't see coping with thousands of email messages as a
prime use case.

When handling email the problem at hand is quite different in my
opinion. The biggest mistake, that I see, with pim user interfaces is
that my communication is "split up" all wrong. To me email
conversations with my friends, chat conversations with my friends and
their "web2.0 - social-networking - update" rss-feeds are much closer
related, than, say, email conversations with friends and mailinglist
traffic. Yet in every pim application out there, my communication is
grouped by technical similarities rather than its content, which from a
user's perspective would make much more sense.

Well, as you said Will, it might be inspiring. Hopefully it inspires us
to create a great user interface that matches the greatness of the
underlying infrastructure: akonadi.

michael