[Kde-pim] libakonadi rename

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Sun Mar 2 10:59:30 GMT 2008

On Saturday 01 March 2008 19:15:15 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> I am not quite happy with the libakonadi rename to libakonadicore
>
> As far as I understand this had to be done because of a conflict on Windows
> with some files generated by the build of the "akonadi" executable,
> correct?

That's my understanding as well.

> If I remember correctly we agreed on renaming this program, but had decided
> on a name yet.

Right.

> Just in case the rename of the library is inevitable for other reasons, I'd
> prefer something like libakonadi-kde (after all it is the KDE specific
> implementation of an Akonadi client library) over "core".
>
> In the context of a potentially cross-desktop infrastructure "core"
> suggests something absolutely necessary and would just lead to
> misunderstandings and in the context of Qt "core" refers to libraries
> without any GUI portions.

I agree, but the same applied to 'libakonadi' already. Disucssing how we name
stuff and where we install it is something I had on my list for the meeting
already, there is more I don't like about the current situation ;-)
Eg. not instlaling the server stuff that is not supposed to be used manually
into 'bin', AFAIU 'libexec' is the right place for that. I also would prefer
to have the header files in 'akonadi' instead of 'libakonadi' as well as a
clear definition of the difference between libakonadi[core] and
libakonadicomponents, if we want to keep the latter at all. Deciding where we
want to go with the various things in akondi/clients/ would also be a good
idea.

regards
Volker