[Kde-pim] [patch] KMail: fox for text codecs + questions on KCharsets and QTextCodec::codecForLocale()->name() on UNIX

Thomas McGuire Thomas.McGuire at gmx.net
Fri Mar 14 20:41:26 GMT 2008

Hi,

On Friday 14 March 2008, Jarosław Staniek wrote:
> For review.
>
> 1. For creating emails use codec returned by KGlobal::locale()->encoding(),
> what on non-windows is equal to QTextCodec::codecForLocale() (see
> KLocalePrivate::initEncoding()).
> On windows QTextCodec::codecForLocale() returns "System", so we're using
> GetLocaleInfo() to get the actual CP system's charset.
>
> 2. A fix for japanese codec on Windows and Mac (just switches from
> shift-jis to jis7 in addition to the previous behaviour so would not break
> things), see the comment added in the code.

Disclaimer: I don't know much about encoding (I've only read the MIME RFCs
now).
I guess the patch is OK. The only problem I see is that networkCodec() is also
used to decode MIME messages without a specified charset. However, according
to the RFC, we should use us-ascii for that. But this has always been the
case in KMail code, so I think it is no problem. I'm just wondering about the
consequences of a changed networkCodec() here.
About the shift-jis/jis7 thing: You seem to know more about this than me, so I
assume this is correct.

So please go ahead and commit the patch.

Regards,
Thomas