[Kde-pim] GSoc: KPilot - akonadi

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Tue Mar 25 15:25:07 GMT 2008

On Monday 24 March 2008 19:40:53 Bertjan Broeksema wrote:
> I'm writing a proposal to port the conduits in kpilot to the new conduit
> framework. However i have a question with respect to akonadi. What is the
> best way to from here? There are three pim based  conduits (Calendar,
> Contacts, Todo) Options I see are:
>
> 1. Use the kcal library *
> 2. Use the Akonadi resources **
> 3. Use akonadi directly
>
> The plan is that after the project KPilot is ready to be shipped with KDE
> 4.1

I assume you are talking about accessing calendar and contact data on the
desktop which should be synced with a mobile device, right?
If that's the case there are two possibilities: KResources provided by KCal
and KABC and Akonadi.
If you need something working in 4.1, use the first. Akonadi will be available
but not yet the default way on accessing contact and calendar data. The plan
is to change that for 4.2 with the help of Kevin's KResource <-> Akonadi
bridges. So, for anything beyond 4.1 Akonadi is the way to go. Since 4.1 is
feature frozen by the time GSoC starts, 4.2 looks like the more realistical
target here anyway.

regards
Volker