[Kde-pim] GSoc: KPilot - akonadi

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Mar 25 14:12:27 GMT 2008

On Monday 24 March 2008, Bertjan Broeksema wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I'm writing a proposal to port the conduits in kpilot to the new conduit
> framework. However i have a question with respect to akonadi. What is the
> best way to from here? There are three pim based  conduits (Calendar,
> Contacts, Todo) Options I see are:
>
> 1. Use the kcal library *

Not as a KCal resource if you meant that.

> 2. Use the Akonadi resources **
> 3. Use akonadi directly

An Akonadi resource is basically "mounting" external data into Akonadi, e.g.
when having a connection to the mobile device any changes on either side
should be visible at the other side "immediately".

If the usage pattern is different, i.e. the mobile device only shows a "view",
i.e. of a subset of data held by some other source, it is probably better to
do it as an Akonadi agent.

I am not using any mobile device so I might be wrong, but I think it makes
sense as a resource and probably handle copying data between it and
the "canonical" resource(s) in an agent.
It would allow to explicitly move data from/to the device, i.e. having only
one copy instead of having a copy in a local file and on the device.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring