[Kde-pim] New message list filter for "actable" messages

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Jun 29 11:04:36 BST 2008

On Sunday 29 June 2008, Yannick Gingras wrote:
> Greetings,
>   in bug #165263, I propose a new message list filter for messages
> that can be acted upon.  I'm not sure if my patch uses the right
> strategy to implement a multi-state filter.  Indeed, if we start to
> combine states, the filter drop-down list will soon become unusable.
>
> Anyone can recommend a better approach?

It depends very much on the user's workflow which status is used for
marking messages that need to be acted upon. I for one mark messages as
important that I later want to be able to find again easily because
they contain important or very interesting information. So a hard-coded
filter like "Unread or Important" would be pretty much useless for me
and other people using the important status similarly.

OTOH, adding multiple drop-down lists or a drop-down list with checkable
items would hurt the simple user interface of the quick view.

I see two solutions:
- Allow the user to define arbitrary additional status filters (e.g.
KAddressBook supports custom view filters).
- Use virtual folders (aka saved searches); as far as I know they are
currently not really usable, but this will hopefully change with KDE
4.2

One other thing: KMail 1.9.x is a dead horse, i.e. we won't add new
features to it. I suggest to use the upcoming KDE 4.1 as basis for your
patches.

Regards,
Ingo