[Kde-pim] KMail and multiple KMMainWidgets

David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed Jun 18 22:30:29 BST 2008

On Friday 30 May 2008, Szymon Stefanek wrote:
> On Friday 30 May 2008, David Faure wrote:
> >
> > Actually, this email made me realize that multiple main windows was exactly
> > the solution to my wife's question the other day: how to have kmail on
> > desktop 1 and 2, but not on desktop 3 and 4.
> > This way she could read private email on desktop 1, and work email on
> > desktop 2, to open webbrowser windows on the right desktop when clicking on
> > a link, etc.
>
> Ok.. we're starting to have two use cases. So maybe our balance is going to
> the other side: let's keep it and clean it up ?
>

> Now that I think of it better...
> Since you want to have a "private" and a separate "work" desktop then I guess
> that you also want to use different sets of mail accounts.
> So you're probably looking for something like "being able to run multiple
> instances of KMail with different user profiles".

It's really much simpler to set it all up in one and to look at the correct part of your folder tree, IMHO.

> Wouldn't
> 	# adduser work
> 	# xhost +
> 	# ssh -X work at localhost
> 	# kmail
> do the job ?

No way for my wife to do that herself.
No way for session management to be able to restore something like this.
No way to share settings between the two kmails (text color etc. -- if you like
quoted text to be green, you like it for both work and personal emails...)
-> too complicated as a solution.