[Kde-pim] Filtering in KMail & moves to online IMAP folders

Don Sanders sanders at kde.org
Thu Jun 5 05:50:32 BST 2008

On Friday 30 May 2008 06:47, Thomas McGuire wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thursday 29 May 2008 22:25:00 Till Adam wrote:
> > On Thursday 29 May 2008 22:20:10 Thomas McGuire wrote:
> > > Hmm, probably. I don't see an immediate reason in the code (and
> > > no comments of course). I'm tempted to just enable it, it would
> > > be for manually filtering only anyway (which does not use the
> > > action scheduler, the message is moved in
> > > KMFilterMgr::process(), which seems OK to me (it calls
> > > KMFolderImap::addMsg() in the end).
> >
> > addMsg() does not actually add the message to the folder, for
> > online imap, that requires a folderjob, which is asynchronous.
> > Since the main filter code cannot handle that, the action
> > scheduler is needed. Enabling online IMAP folders as targets of
> > filter move actions will lose mail, as only the envelope will be
> > added locally, to the cache, but the mail will not actually be
> > uploaded to the server.
>
> It seems like KMFolderImap::addMsg() does create a job, it calls
> imapJob = new ImapJob( msgList, QString(), ImapJob::tPutMessage,
> this ); I tried moving a mail with a big attachment, and that also
> worked fine (even though the attachment was loaded on demand).
> What did I miss?

I wonder if other actions are applied to a message besides moving
(like marking it as read, or marking it as spam, changing the message
in some way). Whether those actions will take effect on the message
stored on the server.

I vaguely (very vaguely) recall having concerns about moving multiple
messages at the same time. But I guess whatever manages the KMJobs
could handle that fine. There might be issues related to knowing with
a filter succeeded or not. If the connection drops out at the wrong
time KMail might get out of sync and think some messages have already
been filtered (moved) when really the haven't.

Maybe none of this is important, I don't recall the details. Really I
just wanted to write in just in case anyone was curious as to my
whereabouts or whatever. Sorry I never did find time to contribute
after the last KDE meeting I attended (way back in Malaga which I
have nice memories of). I guess that will continue indefinitely.

Still alive here, but looks like I will be kept busy working on
messaging (email and some IM) for Nokia now with the buyout (and
maybe a few private research projects of my own,). Should be
interesting anyway.

Well I guess that's all, best wishes to everyone, especially those
I've exchanged emails with and met in person,
Don.