[Kde-pim] Porting status

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Jul 26 19:15:49 BST 2008

On Saturday 26 July 2008, Sander van Grieken wrote:
> On Thursday 24 July 2008 23:44:20 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > On Thursday 24 July 2008, Sander van Grieken wrote:
> > > Pinging the list again..
> >
> > I have set Devel Release and Stable Release for KAddressBook,
> > Kontact and KOrganizer to green status (since they will be part of
> > KDE 4.1). The Qt4/KDE4 Port status of those three apps currently is
> > green as well (it was already before my update), but is the
> > Qt4/KDE4 port of those three apps really finished? FWIW, KNode's
> > and KMail's porting status is still set to work-in-progress.
>
> Looks a little strange to me :)
>
> I interpret a green porting status as there's no more dependencies on
> Qt3/KDE3.

Porting KMail isn't finished yet:

~/svn/kde/branches/KDE/4.1/kdepim/kmail> grep Q3 -l *.h *.cpp | sort
favoritefolderview.cpp
favoritefolderview.h
foldertreebase.cpp
headeritem.cpp
headeritem.h
headerlistquicksearch.cpp
headerlistquicksearch.h
kmfolderimap.h
kmfoldertree.cpp
kmfoldertree.h
kmheaders.cpp
kmheaders.h
kmmainwidget.cpp
kmmainwidget.h
kmsystemtray.cpp
localsubscriptiondialog.cpp
managesievescriptsdialog.cpp
managesievescriptsdialog.h
subscriptiondialog.cpp

~/svn/kde/branches/KDE/4.1/kdepim/kmail> grep K3 -l *.h *.cpp | sort
headeritem.cpp
headeritem.h
headerlistquicksearch.cpp
headerlistquicksearch.h
kmfoldertree.cpp
kmheaders.cpp
kmheaders.h
kmmainwidget.cpp
kmmainwidget.h

Most of this is Q3ListView and K3ListView since porting the list views
to model/view was postponed until KMail is ported to Akonadi (which
does already provide suitable models and views).

> So it should be green if Devel Release is green.

Why? I understand "Devel/Stable Release" as "development/stable release
running on Qt4/KDE4", or, IOW, porting has reached a state where the
application runs reliably on KDE 4.

The page says
"This page intends to give developers, distributors and users an
overview over the porting state of popular KDE3 applications to
KDE4.1."

IMO the column Qt4/KDE4 Port is mostly interesting for developers, the
column Devel Release is probably interesting for developers and
distributors and the Stable Release column is interesting for
distributors and users. The users do not care about the state of the
port. All they want to know is whether their favorite KDE 3 application
will be available as KDE 4 version or not.

Anyway, obviously, the above is just my interpretation of this page.
Since the meaning of the three columns is not well-defined I have no
doubt that other people interpret the information differently.

Regards,
Ingo