[Kde-pim] Synchronization Framework for KDE

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 20:28:13 BST 2008

Pascal Bach wrote:

> Hi,

> I already asked this question at kde-devel but they told me it would
> be better to ask here.
>
> Is there a synchronization framework in KDE planned or already
> implemented? I'm not talking only about syncing contact between mobile
> devices, more of a general solution for all kind of synchronization
> tasks which can be used by any software as needed.
>
> Examples of Sync tasks I can think of are:
> - Calendar with Google calendar
> - Preferences of my KDE environment between different machines
> - Photos with online Photo albums like flicker
> - Contacts between Mobile device, online service and akonadi
> - Documents with an online storage (WebDAV, ftp)

I think some of the above is possible with opensync. At least, opensync
would be able to sync pim data and maybe other 'small' data, like
preferences. For syncing documents you probably need to use something like
rsync. I think digikam can upload to flickr, but I'm not sure about
syncing.

There are plans to create an opensync plugin for akonadi to allow syncing
pim data at least.
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.misc.opensync.devel/2900

> I'm sure there are many more possibilities.
> The gnome folks have a nice program called conduit
> (www.conduit-project.org), maybe we can work together with them to
> implement a synchronization framework for KDE?

I'm not sure if opensync and consuit share any code, but they seem to do
largely the same job, though conduit may be dependant on GNOME after
reading the first paragraph of the homepage. Opensync is platform
independent, and might also work on windows (dunno).

Sorry I can't tell you more.

Steve.