[Kde-pim] Kde-pim identities

Gaffer. derrick_s at tesco.net
Wed Jul 30 01:53:00 BST 2008

Mike,

On Wednesday 30 July 2008 00:01, Mike Arthur wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 July 2008 19:26:36 Gaffer. wrote:
> > "we could have the same function as WinXP that shows how many
> > e-mails have not been read before the user log on, How many
> > contacts are online on his IM protocol he is using, etc. "
> >
> > The implication is that you want to copy M$ behaviour...    Are
> > you surprised that this gets jumped on !
>
> Yes, he should be. Not everything Microsoft does is stupid. Sure
> they've done some evil stuff to get to where they are today but
> they've also had some good ideas.

Microsoft is far from stupid !  They have learnt how to leverage the
operating system in order to extract demographics, user information
etc in order to maintain a monopoly.  Information leaks out of their
machines without the users knowledge like water through a sieve.

I can see a similar thing happening with Linux.  Once you start making
personal information globally accessible within a system then its
only a small step to having that information leaking outside.

> Using "M$" doesn't do you any favours, it makes you look like a
> mindless bigot and really, really detracts from your arguments.

And your comments don't ?

I notice that you didn't reproduce my off list reply to you !

Users are dumping M$ !  Lack of real security is one reason.

> The integration Microsoft has been applications and OS is in some
> ways great. If you make these features optional I really can't see
> how people can complain.

If you want to imitate the M$ paradigm then thats your choice !  Linux
is not Windows !  Attempting to make KDE behave like Windows is a bad
idea !   Yes people have a resistance to change, But imitating
Windows is not the way to overcome that resistance.

--
Best Regards:
             Derrick.