[Kde-pim] Kde-pim identities

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Jul 27 19:10:38 BST 2008

On Sunday 27 July 2008, Mike Arthur wrote:
> On Sunday 27 July 2008 17:15:16 Gaffer. wrote:
> > > Identities could be integrated to users more tightly to provide
> > > more featues for the user. I know that right now the identities
> > > are only e-mail's related but I think creating a resource to
> > > akonadi with identities. This way, we could gather more
> > > information about the user.
> >
> > I, and I think many users would be entirely against the collection
> > of information about users for what ever reason !
>
> You do realise this information is already available if you have
> access rights to a users account?

Sure, but on any sensible OS, by default, only the user himself has
access rights to his home folder.

> > > I have already started playing with a new resource that could use
> > > Identity on a larger scale. Before keeping up with the idea, I
> > > would need some advice.
> >
> > What you are advocating is one of the reasons that people are
> > dumping M$ software.  Users do not want to be spied upon in any way
> > shape or form !   If this is the case then you are making a rod for
> > your own back and a reason not to use Linux !
>
> I fail to see how an option to display how many unread emails someone
> has on the login screen is "spying".

As I wrote in my other message, this information if of no concern for
anybody but me.

> I understand that you may disagree with the idea, that's fine but
> implying that other people wouldn't want this feature based on your
> (in my opinion) over-the-top privacy angle is not really a fair
> discussion of the idea.

IMO Derrick's concern is far from being over-the-top.

> I notice that you don't run your own email
> server. Do you trust Tesco to not read all your emails? They are
> perfectly capable of doing so and you've probably agreed that this is
> ok. Did you read their privacy policy fully? I fail to see how this
> would be better than local data-collection for local users.

What has Tesco technically being able to violate Derrick's privacy to do
with Derrick's concerns about KDE applications breaching his privacy?
If Derrick would be concerned about Tesco he'd probably use encryption
for private mail. He has to be able to protect his privacy in a similar
manner when using KDE.

> Personally, I think this would be a great idea and I welcome more
> identity integration and data collection between applications to be
> more useful for me.

I do agree with this, as long as the collected data is made available
only to myself and to the applications I use (under my account).

Regards,
Ingo