[Kde-pim] Kde-pim identities

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Jul 27 23:05:36 BST 2008

Reading your reply is very difficult because the version of KMail you
are using does not quote properly. Please update your version of KMail.
Also please insert an empty line after each quoted block (if you've
done so then your KMail seems to have removed those empty lines) since
this makes it much easier to find your reply among all the quoted text.

On Sunday 27 July 2008, Pier-Olivier Thibault wrote:
> On Sunday 27 July 2008 13:52:00 Ingo Klöcker wrote:

> > No, it is not. Akonadi is no storage. Akonadi is a cache and a
> > protocol for accessing PIM-related information. What you want to do
> > is best done
> > with Nepomuk.
>
> In order for Nepomuk to do what it is meant to do, I thought it
> needed a PIM framework like Akonadi to store the information...

No. See below.

> > > I, and I think many users would be entirely against the
> > > collection of information about users for what ever reason !
> >
> > I think you are misunderstanding. The information gathered by KDE
> > would only be available to the user the information belongs to and
> > it would only be used to give you a better user experience.
>
> That's exactly what I mean.

> > How is this related to identities?
>
> Name it the word you want.. It just that in my head an identity is
> what I am.. My name, My e-mail addresses, my address, my gender, etc.

That's not what the identities in PIM are about. The identities in PIM
are different hats you wear when you communicate with other people. Do
you want to change your wallpaper or your plasma widgets depending on
the identity you are currently using? If yes, then how do you want to
switch between those different identities? If you really want to change
your whole desktop if you wear another hat, then the best solution is
to have different user accounts for your different "identities".

> > This is clearly a task for Nepomuk.
>
> See above. I thought akonadi was the storage for Nepomuk as Nepomuk
> is over the internet, Akonadi was a database for PIM that nepomuk
> would eventually use to do his bidding.

It's more like the other way around. Nepomuk has its own database for
storing semantic information (i.e. what is related to what) and this
database is completely independent of Akonadi. There are some helper
apps that extract information from PIM objects via Akonadi and put this
information (e.g. the senders of e-mail messages) into Nepomuk's
database. Akonadi will then use Nepomuk, e.g. for searching PIM objects
satisfying certain criteria. (This might not be 100% accurate so please
take what I wrote with a grain of salt.)

> > I agree with Derrick, that this would be a breach of privacy. This
> > information is of no concern for anybody but me and therefore it
> > must only be shown to me. FWIW, I hate this WinXP feature.
>
> How's the number of contact online and number of email are a breach
> of privacy. Having friends on facebook knowing that you wrote a
> message on a wall or you added somebody to your friend list is a far
> bigger threat and yet, this is the fastest growing web service on the
> planet.

Yeah, it's incredible how careless most people are with their private
information.

> I don't wanna be make KDE a new facebook. This is a
> comparison to show how your "security breach" is not so much of a
> problem.

It might not be a problem for the typical facebook user, but it is a
major problem for people like me who wants to keep at least some
control over their private data.

> Also, loving or hating a feature is not the point here as we're
> talking about 1. possibilities and 2. usefulness.

Sure. As long as I have full control over those features, so that I can
turn them off, I have no problem with them.

Regards,
Ingo