[Kde-pim] KDE-PIM Security R&D

Derek Ditch derek.ditch at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 06:34:59 GMT 2008

Greetings KDE-PIM developers,

I am a senior computer science student at Missouri University of
Science & Technology (MST)[http://www.cs.mst.edu].  I'm a member of a
pilot class called Cyber Security Research & Development.  In this
class, we are to choose an open source project, perform a security
analysis on it, fix what we can and give it all back to the community.
 I suggested KDE4 as a possible project.  Obviously KDE4 is a large
set of code, so we narrowed it down to KDE-PIM.  Specifically I think
we may look at Akonadi.  I'm the advocate, so I'm gathering
information.

My question is if you feel Akonadi is a good candidate for this class.
 Some of the specifications are the impact of security (how
widespread/how critical), scope of the project (lines of code, release
cycle) and potential for vulnerabilities (or the amount of impact we
could have on the project).

Also, of course, a very important factor is willingness of the
community to use our fixes.
I've worked with several small KDE projects in the past, and the last
item has never been a problem.  I've found KDE teams to be very open
to outside help.  Last semester my team did a bit of work on ViewVC
and the project members didn't seem to be too interested in our work.

So do you think Akonadi is a good pick, or could you suggest something
that be more applicable given the guidelines above?

Thanks for your response,

Derek