[Kde-pim] [patch] Extension of the User-Agent field in KMail messages

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Jan 8 23:36:01 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 08 January 2008, Jarosław Staniek wrote:
> Hello,
> Previously the value of User-Agent field in KMail was like
> "KMail/1.9.50". Not bad, assuming it was Linux/Unix.
>
> The patch changes that by adding operating system version, KDE
> version and simple machine info. It's modeled after
> http://www.mozilla.org/build/revised-user-agent-strings.html, e.g.
> uses ';' and does not uses spaces within tags.
>
> Example: "KMail/1.9.50 (Windows/5.0; KDE/3.97.1; i686)"

FWIW, Thunderbird writes

> For Linux the OS info would be like "Linux/2.6.8-2".
> As you can see I do not care here about "X11" tag, as we know it from
> web browsers.
>
> The information would be usable for our development and to get some
> light stats.

systemNameVersionAndMachine() does not belong into kmail.
Konqueror/kio_http/whatever needs exactly the same information for the
User-Agent header, right? And I'm pretty sure KNode and Mailody would
also like to use this for their User-Agent header. So this method does
clearly belong into kdelibs (next to KUser for example; KSystemInfo
maybe?).

For privacy reasons I'd like the level of detail to be configurable just
as in Konqueror. And, while we are at it, the header should be made
completely optional.

Regards,
Ingo