[Kde-pim] Branches, merges etc.

Till Adam till at kdab.net
Wed Jan 9 13:20:57 GMT 2008

Folks,

as some of you might have noticed, we have merged out trunk based work branches of kdepimlibs and kdepim into the newly unfrozen trunk, yesterday. We'll delete the work branches in a few days, probably Monday morning.

For the next few months at least, the KDAB folks will be working in trunk, towards 4.1. To give you a bit of an overview, here's what the various KDABians involved with this will be doing in the foreseeable future:

- merge everything that went into 3.5 into enterprise branch, then fold enterprise branch into 3.5 branch for an eventual 3.5.++current release (Pradeepto, atm)

- continue merging in all the features from enterprise branch into trunk (Volker, Till, Andreas, Thomas, Jaroslaw, Kevin)

- continue work on the new kleopatra and related technologies, namely  the unified certificate and key manager, desktop service API for crypto operations including UI, better error handling, better logging. This targets Linux, Windows (including Outlook and Explorer integration, extending gpg4win.org) and OS X (Marc, Frank, mainly)

- once the previous item is complete, port KMail to the new infrastructure, thereby solving many usability issues we currently have in that area (Marc, Frank, Volker, Till)

- continue getting pimlibs and pim up to par on Windows, solving the various platform issues there (Jaroslaw, Frank)

- continue fixing things needed in kdelibs for Kontact in 4.1 to be fully usable (Andreas, David, Kevin)

- stabilizing kdepim with the goal of a fully production ready Kontact in 4.1 (everyone)

As you'll notice, there are no new features planned, neither for enterprise branch nor trunk, for the forseeable future, our focus is fully on beating things into shape now.

And finally here's what some of us are planning to do in our non-work kde time:

- continue getting pimlibs and pim up to par on OS X, solving the various platform issues there (Till, Frank, Mirko, Thomas)

- continue improving Akonadi (Volker, Till (well, I'll take credit for Volker's work, as usual ;) )

- continue getting Akregator working again (Frank)

- improving things visually in kdepim, especially kmail (Thomas)

All the names in the above are our current planing, this can change as we go, but I wanted to give everyone an idea who to talk to when there are questions. For coordinative stuff, or if you have background questions, you can always email me, or chat me up on IRC, I try to be around as much as I can.

I'll also be writing up a wiki page on all the new things that have gone into enterprise branch and will thus be in 3.5.x and 4.1.

Thanks to everyone who's helping us in various ways although they are not paid by us (or anyone else), btw, we really appreciate that. Three cheers for Thomas McGuire, in particular, who's been patiently fixing several of our merge breakages and to Allen, who's doing a wonderful job managing the exciting and wonderful mess that is kdepim, these days. :)

Forza!

Till

--
Till Adam
KDAB - platform independent software services