[Kde-pim] libical effort and maintenance

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Wed Jan 16 14:32:16 GMT 2008

On Monday 14 January 2008 11:21:17 Fathi Boudra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Citadel team took over libical library and have released libical
> 0.27version.
>
> This version includes:
> * Merges some patches from KDE and Citadel.
> * Updates timezone data to tzdata 2007c.

IIRC, we reviewed v0.27 and incorporated any changes we found
into our internal version.  Also, we have upgraded to tzdata 2007h.
I do see that tzdata 2007k is out, so we need to update the zoneinfo again.

> They are now preparing the upcoming 0.30 release
> This version will include many fixes from the evolution branch.
>
> Citadel team would like to reduce branches and the current maintenance
> nightmare.

Yay!  It's great to see libical getting a renewed life.

> It could be nice to have KDE PIM developers coming back to use
> the new maintained libical library instead of keeping their own embedded
> copy.
>
> You are welcome to participate to this effort and Citadel team can't do
> this alone.

I'm not sure how to proceed.
I don't think we're ready to simply drop our internal version for an
external libical dependency.  But I could probably be convinced otherwise.

Has v0.30 incorporated any changes from the kdepim version?
Perhaps someone needs to go through that exercise first.

But, this is all great news and now we need to come up with a roadmap.

-Allen, KDEPIM coordinator and KOrganizer Janitorial Staff