[Kde-pim] Synchronization between Akregator & Google Reader

Frank Osterfeld frank.osterfeld at gmx.de
Mon Feb 25 18:28:52 GMT 2008

On Sunday 24 February 2008 21:58:30 Didier Hoarau wrote:
> This weekend I've been working a little on a Akregator's synchronization
> tool.
>
> I've made some samples for the user interface that would manage and
> trigger this feature in Akregator. For the moment there is not much
> thing. Nothing really works and nothing is integrated yet but I've
> tried to think about something easy to use and consistent with other
> KDE tools.
>
> Everything is commited on the SVN work folder but here are 2
> sceenshots of what I've done: http://did.hoarau.free.fr/blog/?p=7

My rough idea what's needed UI-wise:

- a configuration page where one can configure his/her online reader
account(s). That would be your first screenshot (Update means "Edit" I
think?)
- a menu entry like in your screenshot for triggering the sync manually

Manual synchronization would show a dialog with the additions/removals/changes
and the possibility to influence the changes.

Automatic synchronization would try to synchronize automatically if possible,
and show the manual synchronization dialog if there are conflicts which
cannot be resolved automatically.
(I think removal is safe if you store the result of the last sync and use them
to find out whether a feed was eg. removed remotely or added locally?)

I checked out the workbranch and if I find the time, work a bit on the
plugin-ization of the onlinesync feature and the needed interfaces on
akregator side. It's important that adding/removing/changing subscriptions
will be asynchronous and job-based, we must keep that in mind when
implementing the synchronization code.

Regards,

Frank

Frank