[Kde-pim] Synchronization between Akregator & Google Reader

Frank Osterfeld frank.osterfeld at gmx.de
Wed Feb 20 23:10:34 GMT 2008

Hi,

On Wednesday 20 February 2008, Didier Hoarau wrote:
> On Feb 20, 2008 8:32 AM, Frank Osterfeld <frank.osterfeld at gmx.de> wrote:
> > Great! If you have questions about Akregator and its codebase, just ask.
> > Do you see any problems mapping of the Akregator feed list to the Google
> > reader subscription list and vice versa, or is that straight-forward? (I
> > haven't read the API yet).
> >
> > Frank
>
> The only problem I see with Google Reader's feeds is that there are no
> sub-directories in the categories. A feed can have several labels but
> there is no hierarchy in the labels. That must be taken into account
> but I don't think that this will be a problem.

Right, that's a difference. Actually, for feeds, I'm in favor of categories
opposed to folders. Right now, having the same feed in multiple folders isn't
well supported (it's seen as two separate feeds and funny things might
happen - or not). This is something I want to have fixed ASAP.
I'm not sure yet about whether the hierarchy should be flattened or not.

> So far I have a set of classes that retrieves the feeds from google,
> then compares it to another source of feeds (currently an opml file).
> Then it tells me which feeds need to be added, update or removed (but
> I thin that a feed shouldn't be removed by default)

Cool, can we add that to SVN already? Maybe we should create a playground
directory for akregator. Do you have an SVN account?

> Dealing with Google Reader API is quite easy
> (http://code.google.com/p/pyrfeed/wiki/GoogleReaderAPI) butI was now
> investigating on the way to deal with Akregator. At first I was
> thinking that using the DBus interfaces would be a good idea (this way
> the module would have rather been independent of Akregator). But I
> don't think that there are enough DBus interfaces available.

Yes, there isn't much of an dbus interface, except for adding single feeds.
It could be implemented as a plugin - Akregator could expose a basic interface
for feed list management. I want to have the interfaces for plugins extended
anyway, so this is a good way to start with it.
What do you need? URL, Feed ID (which is the URL, currently), the tree
structure (and probably a way to store folder<->category mappings), and
add/remove feed methods. Anything else?

Frank