[Kde-pim] Decibel akonadi integration

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Feb 19 19:32:49 GMT 2008

Hi Tobias,

On Tuesday 19 February 2008, Tobias Hunger wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 February 2008, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> Hello Kevin!
>
> > IMHO presence information is too short lived to make sense for storing in
> > Akonadi.
>
> We had this discussion before at our Decibel Hackathon in March last year.
> Everybody agreed that the information needs to be stored in Akonadi (this
> includes Volker Krause). Akonadi was designed to be a unified PIM data
> storage engine, so let's just use it.

I certainly agree if it is about data such as conversation history and maybe
last seen, last event, etc, but presence doesn't sound like the kind of data
that needs persistant storing.

For presence I was more thinking along the lines of KIMProxy in KDE3, which
used KABC identifiers for associating IM contacts with addressbook entries.
When an application like KMail wanted to get the presence of a specific
addressee it could ask the IM proxy and monitor its signals for changes.

> > However, it will be good to have the IM "address" as part of a PIM
> > contact data, i.e. inside the respective addressee (and probably create a
> > new one if there isn't a matching one yet)
>
> Addresses and state (presence and last seen info, etc.) need to be stored
> together.

I am afraid I don't get the concept of storing a connection state like thing
such as presence.

Since everybody else seem to like the idea, I'd like to ask to at least keep
it away from the addressee objects, otherwise Akonadi clients have to deal
with full addressee re-transmissions (potentially including image/photo data)
whenever people's auto-away functions kick in and whenever they return.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring