[Kde-pim] New Maintainer of KMail

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Thu Feb 7 14:32:56 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 6 February 2008 17:43, Thomas McGuire wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 February 2008, Thorsten Staerk wrote:
>> > I'll also continue to nag about coding style and incorrect
>> indentation, I
>> > hope
>> > that this is not too annoying.
>>
>> No, especially if you just change the policy so it fits to:
>>
>> QString bar(int i)
>> {
>>   mycommand(no_capital_letters);
>>   if (whatever) oneliner();
>>   if (stuff)
>>   {
>>     firstcommand();
>>     nextcommand();
>>   }
>> }
>>
>> this is just my opinion of course. Now is the time to do a change!
>> innerCapitals are annoying because you never know if command-parts are
>> withIn one word or if they are two words.
>> { and } on the same indentation increase readAbility.
>
> The coding style will stay the same. Reasons:
> - Changing coding style means we would also need to change all code so it
> fits
>   to the new coding style. This could probably be done with astyle, but I
>   think much of the formatting would be messed up.
> - Changing all old code breakes svn annotations

That has already been done fairly comprehensively in some modules by
Allen. So although you're correct, a precedent has been set.

> - Not changing code and having inconsistent style is not good
> - I've actually used the style so much that I've been brainwashed into
>   liking it

I still don't particularly like the style and would prefer certain changes
(including one part of what Thorsten suggests), but having taken part in
previous protracted debates I will refrain from pressing the issue. It's
better to adopt an imperfect style than to endlessly debate and never
settle on one.

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author & maintainer.